In 2009, MFA was mandated by the state legislature to consolidate and reorganize New Mexico's seven regional housing authorities and provide oversight and training to the new agencies. There are now three regional authorities operating under MFA's supervision, all of which continue to receive significant technical assistance and training in order to increase their ability to deliver affordable housing in rural areas of the state.
Regional housing authorities are the primary housing service providers in rural areas. As small local housing authorities close due to budget cuts, the role of regional housing authorities becomes even more critical.
Regional authorities are responsible for creating partnerships with local governments, state entities, nonprofit organizations and the private sector to plan, finance and create affordable housing. In addition, they operate federal programs such as Section 8 or Housing Choice Voucher Program and the Low Rent Program, also referred to as public housing. These programs provide rental assistance and subsidized rentals for households with incomes that earn 80 percent or less of the area median income.
Contact information for each of the regional housing authorities is listed in the links below.
Regional Housing Authorities
Northern Regional Housing Authority
525 Ranchitos Rd. Unit #962
Taos, NM 87571
Terry Baca – Acting Executive Director
Executive Administrative Assistant – Irene Martinez
Northern Regional Housing Authority region is comprised of the following counties:
Cibola, Taos, McKinley, Rio Arriba, San Juan, San Miguel, Mora, Los Alamos, Colfax and Sandoval.
Currently seven of the 10 counties in the northern region of the state are represented.
- Rayetta Trujillo, Board Chair – Colfax
- Lauren Reichelt, Secretary - Rio Arriba
- Jolene Slowen, Commissioner - Sandoval
- Steven Brugger, Commissioner – Los Alamos
- Nichole Sandoval-Belt, Commissioner – San Juan
- Donna Vigil, Commissioner – San Miguel
- Garland Moore, Commissioner – Cibola
Western Regional Housing Authority
2545 North Silver Street
Silver City, NM 88062
Cathy DeMarco – Executive Director
Sonia Flores – Deputy Director
Western Regional Housing Authority region is comprised of the following counties:
Grant, Hidalgo, Luna, Sierra, Socorro, Catron, Torrance, and Valencia.
Currently all of the eight counties are represented in the Board of Commissioners as noted below:
- Vera Turner, Vice Chair – Catron
- Carol Anaya, Treasurer - Valencia
- Dr. G. Vincent Barrett, Commissioner – Sierra
- Jackie Muncy, Commissioner - Socorro
- Irene Galvan, Commissioner - Hidalgo
- Jennifer Swenson, Commissioner - Catron
- Lynne Featheringill, Resident Commissioner - Grant
Eastern Regional Housing Authority
106 E. Reed St.
Roswell, NM 88202
Chris Herbert, Executive Director
Irene Andazola, Deputy Director
Olivia Cruz, Finance Director
Eastern Regional Housing Authority region is comprised of the following counties:
Chaves, De Baca, Eddy, Guadalupe, Harding, Lea, Lincoln, Otero, Quay, Roosevelt, Union and Curry.
Currently eight of the twelve counties are represented in the Board of Commissioners as noted below:
- Michael O’Hara, Board Chair– Otero
- Terri Douglas, Vice Chair - Chaves
- Ella Turner, Secretary - Lea
- Pamela Clark, Treasurer - Otero
- Waymon Dowdy, Commissioner - Curry
- Sylvia Ramirez-Bueno, Resident Commissioner - Eddy